Pages

Friday 4 January 2019

Summer Learning Journey WEEK 3 Day 5

DAY 5: Here to Stay


Activity 1: Persistent Pollution [4 points]
In 2016, the World Health Organisation announced that Timaru, a small town in the South Island of New Zealand, had the highest recorded levels of air pollution in New Zealand. Some of this pollution was caused by natural events (eg. fires) but most of it was produced (made) by humans.
Watch this short video on air pollution. It will tell you more about natural and human causes of pollution.
On your blog, share three new things that you learned about air pollution from this video.

As I watched through I found out that smog is like another type of air pollution. So is toxic that was also one of the type of air pollution. Air pollution is caused by fuels and oils like things that can get really hot.

Activity 2: Changing Climates [4 points]

Over the past decade, the climate in New Zealand (and around the world) has been changing. In fact, the climate has been getting warmer and warmer. While many of us like warm weather, climate change is not good news. Higher temperatures can cause glaciers to melt (leading to flooding) and increase the amount of rain that falls.
Here in New Zealand, we have noticed the change. In fact, we sometimes have torrential (huge) rain storms causing flooding, landslides and road closures. When it starts to rain really hard, Aronui and I usually hide out in our lounge and play games like Yahtzee, Monopoly and Uno. If it rains all day, we will also spend some time reading, watching movies and baking.
What about you? What do you like to do on a rainy day?  
On your blog, tell us about five things that you like to do when it is too rainy to go outside..
I decide to do 7 things that I do when it in raining.
I would watch a nice family movie.
Play cards
Blog
play games
baking
having a cup of tea
free writing
talk to my friends

Activity 3: Let It Rain [10 points]
Over the past few decades, we have seen an increase in the amount of rain that falls here in New Zealand. We are lucky, however, that most of the rain that falls is regular rainwater and not polluted acid rain. Acid rain is rain that has bad chemicals (pollutants) in it. When acid rain hits the ground it can enter the water system, killing plants and animals. Click here to learn more about acid rain.


Let’s imagine that New Zealand was hit by a massive acid rain storm. Acidic rain fell for three days and three nights. When the rain fell, you stayed inside with your friends and family. When it stopped, however, you and your family decided to go for a walk outside. You opened the door and...


On your blog, write a short story about what happened when you opened the door and walked outside after the acid rain storm. To earn full points, you must write a story that is 8 – 10 sentences long.
all you hear is a loud bang. My brothers and sister were telling me t not to go but I refuse listening to them. I was so scared , I walked outside to see a lot of stuff that were wrecked. There were car window that were broken. Water flowing down the street. Also trees on roads with glass chattered every where. Electric poles and lines were on the floor. The water was getting a bit ruff and I didn't know what to do. I panic until I got an idea. I told my older brothers and sisters to split up and get some food , water . blankets and 4 torch. I then told my younger brothers and sisters to get all the towels that they could. I went and locked all the doors. My parents then help me use the towel to block the little holes under the door in case water comes flowing in.I then went and got my parents my nena and grandpa and went straight to a big bathroom once i got them safe I called my brothers and sister down to come in so I can lock it. We were so lucky we were safe the flooding went on for 2 hours then it stop we were lucky because we were in the bathroom and the toilet was right there that had a door. We were all save and lived happily ever after.

1 comment:

  1. Tena Koe Sonnia,

    Another fabulous post I see. These posts were all heavily based on the topic 'climate change'. How did you feel as you were working on these activities? Did it make you consider climate change as a serious global issue? Why or why not?

    You are correct that smog and toxic pollutants affect climate change. There is also another type of gas called 'greenhouse gasses'. Were you able to find out any information about its causes and effects? I would like you to think about how all of these factors directly link to human health. How does it harm us?

    I really enjoyed reading your descriptive paragraph about the aftermath of the acid rain storm. I like how you have started off the story with a very detailed description of the town. You have talked about the trees, poles, cars and flooding. Ka pai! Also, what a clever thought to come up with a resolution. I am relieved that this story has come to a happy ending.

    All the best,

    Susie

    ReplyDelete