Pages

Thursday 20 December 2018

Summer learning journey Week 1 Day 2

DAY 2: Forest Life

Activity 1: Giants Among Us [4 points]
New Zealand has a really special environment. Many of the plants and trees found in New Zealand are not found anywhere else in the world. These plants and trees are endemic to our country.  In New Zealand, one of the largest and longest living endemic trees is the NZ Kauri tree. Kauri are mainly found in three regions of New Zealand: the Coromandel, Auckland and Northland. The largest Kauri tree in the country is in the Waipoua Forest in Northland. It is called Tāne Mahuta. Some people refer to it as the ‘Lord of the Forest.’
Thousands of people go to visit Tāne Mahuta every year. Would you like to be one of those people who got to see Tāne Mahuta in real life? Why or why not?
On your blog, tell us whether you would like to go and visit Tāne Mahuta one day. Be sure to tell us why you do (or do not) want to visit this endemic tree.

I would love to visit tāne Mahuta. Why you ask? I love exploring new things especially if I haven't seen it in real life. Another fun fact about my self but I don't like to share is I love to explore jungles and forest but some how I never get the chance to because my family is always busy. If i was to go on this trip I would wanna take my friends and my family.








Activity 2: Fabulous Ferns [4 points]
One of the most common plants found in New Zealand forests is the fern. It is a special, iconic symbol of New Zealand. You will find pictures of ferns on the jerseys of many famous sporting teams in New Zealand, including the New Zealand All Blacks.
Did you know that many of these teams also have the word ‘fern’ in their name? Use your best researching skills to find three New Zealand sporting teams who use the word ‘fern’ in their title.
On your blog list three sports teams that have the word ‘fern’ in their title. Beside each team’s name, post a picture of their uniform. Then, at the bottom of your blog post tell us which of the three uniforms you like best and why.
I decide to choose 4 fern photos.

Black caps
Image result for black caps uniform
Black ferns 

Image result for black fern uniform
Silver ferns

s  Image result for silver fern uniform
Rugby League Logo

Image result for rugby league




Activity 3: Weird and Wonderful [10 points]
New Zealand is just one of many countries that has amazing plants and trees. In fact, the African desert is home to some pretty incredible plants, like the cactus. Some cacti are able to survive on as little as 3 millilitres (ml) of water a day. Wow!
Let’s imagine that you are given a cactus for your birthday. To keep it alive, you must give it 3 ml of water every day.
Over one full year, how much water will you need to give your cactus plant?
On your blog, tell us how to solve this maths problem. You can write your answer in words, use a Sketchpad image, or post a video explaining how you would figure it out. Be sure to give us your final answer in millilitres (ml ).















1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Sonia,
    My name is Patricia and I am part of the Summer Learning Journey team. How nice is to see that your are actively engaging on completing the activities, way to go! I am here to comment and support your posts and guide you through this program.
    Activity 1: Giants Among Us - It's really cool that you want to visit Tāne Mahuta. I used to live up North so I had the privilege to visit this place couple times and I can tell you that in there I felt very connected to nature and quite inspired by the majestic size of Tāne Mahuta. Do you know that the tree height is 45.2 meters? That is pretty tall right?!! Also, the tree trunk diameter is 5.22 metres, if you go there with friends you guys can try to hold hands and go around the tree, that would be fun don't you agree?
    Activity 2: Fabulous Ferns - Firstly, I noticed that you chosen to post pics of 4 teams instead of only 3 going beyond expectations, thumbs up for that. However, for this task we also need you to answer this question: "Then, at the bottom of your blog post tell us which of the three uniforms you like best and why.". In order for you to gain full points for this activity I need you to add this information in your post. Could you do that and let me know by replying to this comment?
    Activity 3: Weird and Wonderful - I love the fact that you used an sketchpad image to show how you worked out this problem, the black background made the white writing really clear, well done!. I am a big fun of maths because of the "working out" part as it shows that no problem is too big when you can break it down in small steps right?!! It would be nice if you added how did you worked out 365 x 3, because I am sure you did used some place value partitioning to get the final answer, am I right?
    I am looking forward your reply. Keep up with the good work!
    Kia kaha,
    Patricia


    ReplyDelete