Pages

Saturday 29 December 2018

Summer Learning Journey WEEK 2 Day 2

DAY 2: Fabulous Flora

Activity 1: Weaving a Tall Tale…[4 points]
There is a long history in New Zealand of collecting natural plants, including flax (harakeke), and using them to create cloaks, baskets (kete), mats, traps and ropes. Flax weaving is an art form. It can take years for people to perfect the art of weaving. Have you ever tried it?
For this activity, you are asked to watch a short video of someone weaving a fish (ika) out of flax.
On your blog, tell us whether or not you would like to try flax weaving. Does it interest you? Why or why not?
I would really love to try flax weaving because normally when you create things you need paper glue and other stuff. The very creative flax weaving has made me so excited that I just want to try . Yes and it did interest me a lot because it makes handy stuff and also it is made by plants.

Activity 2: Mighty Mangroves [4 points]
Here in New Zealand we have a native tree called a Kiwi Mangrove. Kiwi Mangroves grow in shallow water (harbours). The largest mangrove or manawa forests in New Zealand are located in Northland and in Auckland. According to many environmental experts, they are one of the toughest and strongest trees in the world because they can survive in really harsh (difficult) conditions.
For this activity you are asked to think of someone who is very tough and strong. They can be someone who you know personally or they can be a character that you have read about in a book, seen in a movie, or on a television show.


On your blog, tell us about this person. Who are they? Why are they, in your opinion, so strong and tough?
This person would be my mum she wakes up early she goes to the gym then she heads off to her boxing class. After boxing class she would come back home and eat so much healthy food. During the day we sometime play sports and other things that keep you active. She doesn't really like us on our device to much because it could damage your eyes another reason is me and my brothers and sister love all the games that my mum play. When it is the afternoon she goes running up the Mt Eden mountain and back down two time she then comes back home and picks me and my brothers and sisters up and we would have a touch game with other family members. It is always a play around game just to keep our fitness up. When it starts to get dark she would take the stretchers in case we pull a muscle but we never pull a muscle because her stretcher are very good and they are very painful. But we never give up.


Activity 3: Stranger than Fiction [10 points + 5 possible points]
Here on earth there are more than 298 000 different kinds (species) of plants. Some of these plants live on land and some live in the water. Follow this link to read about 10 of the strangest plant species in the world. When you are finished, choose two of the plants from the list.




On your blog, list three similarities and three differences between the two plants that you chose. To earn five extra bonus points, post a picture of both plants on your blog..


1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora Sonnia,

    I’m Dani, a blog commenter for the Summer Learning Journey. I normally spend my time in the Kaikohekohe cluster but I have had the chance to check out some amazing posts in the Manaiakalani cluster! I look forwarding to reading and commenting on Manaiakalani learner’s blogs.

    Flax weaving sounds like a very interesting and creative hobby to have. I have only tried it a handful of times and we mainly made flowers out of flax. One of my friends love to weave flax and she made a kete for all of the members of her whanau for Christmas. I love the idea of making something useful for presents for your whanau. When you get the chance to try flax weaving, what you would you like to make first?

    Wow, your mum and whanau sound like you are all very active people. She sounds like a great role model to have in the house. I can’t imagine being fit enough to run up and down Mt Eden once let alone twice! What are your favourite sports to play with your whanau? Every year on Christmas Day, my whanau all play a game of cricket.

    You have picked two very interesting plants to compare and contrast. .I didn’t realise that Pitcher plant ate insects too! I had a Venus Flytrap when I was younger and it wasn’t as exciting as it seems. The mouth closes very slowly to attempt to trap the flies. I wouldn’t mind have a few Venus Flytraps and Pitcher Plants at my house though, we have heaps of flies and we are getting very annoyed with them. Do you think that you would ever want to own either of these plants?

    Blog ya later,

    Dani

    ReplyDelete